WHAT WE HAVE DONE
Oily Water Separator is one of essential item of MARPOL regulations.
Without OWS or dysfuctional OWS sailing is prohibited. Also necessary spares should be stocked onboard for any repair.
Rules and Regulations for 15 ppm Bilge Alarms
According to MARPOL Annex I, ships of 400 gross tonnage and above must be fitted with a bilge water separator, and on ships of 10000 gross tonnage and above the bilge water separator must additionally be fitted with a 15 ppm bilge alarm. However, ships between 400 and 10000 gross tonnage are also required to have the 15ppm alarm in order to be allowed to operate the bilge water separator when the ship is in one of the following "Special Areas" as defined by MARPOL.
The Mediterranean Sea
The Black Sea
The Baltic Sea and the North West European waters
The Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden
The Arabian Gulf
The Oman area of the Arabian Sea.
OWS is under Chief Engineer responsibility. He should keep OWS in full functional and ready to use any time.
Also other officers shoul operate OWS in case of need with under supervision of Chief Engineer.
The Unit should be kept off and locked position when not in used.
Also manufacturer instruction book should be onboard and crew should read and handle OWS with easy operation.
Necessary diagrams should be printed and put near to OWS to easy access .
It's adviced to function test and calibration for periodical. Calibration can only be done by companies which have experience and calibration kits.
Function test can be done by crew every month and 1 day before all port arrivals.
Oily Water Separator calibration should be done as annually
While testing calibrating , problems and faulty components must be determined.
Urgent actions should be taken to fix problems and supplying spares to relplace faulty components.
If troubles can not be fixed before entering ports , situation should be reported to owner or management office.
Also port authorities and Class shoyld be informed.
WHAT WE DO
Control Technic is providing repair and calibration service for all brands and models of oily water separators.
To continue this , having all necessary calibration kits , sample waters and procedures are the requirements.
We advice onboard calibration instead of laboratory. This will keep safe oil content meter and save it from wrong re-installation after calibration.
WE OFFER FOR OWS
* New installation
* Remote support
* Training for crew
* Spare parst supply
While calibration , we follow manufacturer's instruction and also MARPOL regulations.
Below steps are performed on test and calibrations.
* Cheking overboard valve is closed position in normal condition ( 0 PPM )
* Checking Oil Content Meter is working properly and showing correct value
* Open clean water and running it in measuing cell to clean inside
* Checking bilge pump functioning
* Cheking level sensors and tranfer solenoid valves on separator tank
* Appling sample water and wait for 15 PPM alarm on unit and on alarm monitoring system as visual and audible.
* 15 PPM Alarm must be read in +/- 5 PPM accuracy.
* Checking overboard valve position . It should change from out to bilge tank at alarm condition.
* Checking responce time for PPM alarm and valve action.
* Checking stopping function at alarm condition of bilge pump.
* Service Report and certificate can be issued upon successful results.